Thursday, October 7, 2010

8-ball endgame

Here's a situation I ran into about a month ago in league play, and I ended up blowing it. It was one of those times where a good solution just didn't come to me in the heat of the moment. I made what I thought might be a reasonable play and it turned out not to be - I left my opponent an open shot on his ball and as a result, I lost the game.

Interestingly, I saw someone else get handed pretty much the same exact situation at the APA Regionals in Phoenix last weekend... and he, like me, seemed to struggle a bit coming up with a good play. To his credit, he did better than I originally did and won the game.




An alterior motive for this entry is for me to go through the paces of recording & uploading a video from a new camera I got recently. It's one of those simple "shoot and share" type cameras that I mainly got so I could use it to evaluate myself during practice... but I think it'll also come in handy when I want to show a quick clip like I'm doing here.

4 comments:

  1. Nice post, interesting situation. I'm curious what your original attempt looked like if you wouldn't mind describing what you did during the match and why it didn't work out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. In my original attempt, I tapped the 8-ball into his ball along the rail. The first time, the cue ball stayed behind the 8 so he just picked it up and gave it back to me again. Except the 8-ball was now frozen to the rail so I had to hit it differently to ensure I hit rail after hitting the 8. I did so, but it brought the cue off the rail enough that he was able to thin his ball then bank the cue off the long rail to hide behind his ball forcing me to do a long kick at the 8. I missed wide, giving him ball in hand. By this time, the various shots we both had taken widened the gap between the balls just enough for him to fit the cue ball between them and shoot his ball into the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice. Practicing defensive shots will give you an edge...very few people practice them. Kudos for video taping yourself. You'll be surprised how much you can learn by watching yourself, identifying, then correcting flaws in your technique. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a nice shot. But if I'm your opponent, with the particular leave in the video, I just tie up the balls again.

    ReplyDelete